Friday, June 29, 2007

Westminster City Council

Well it’s my 4th day working as an administrator for Westminster City Council’s libraries department. An unglamorous job but it’s A OK. I get paid a ridiculously good amount really for such a lowly role, maybe because of the Council’s prestige as the London borough which encompasses Buckingham Palace, Soho, Hyde Park, Oxford Street and Leicester Square. It’s also piss easy work in a low stress environment because essentially it’s local government and therefore civil service; No 70 hour weeks here, you can take the City and shove it where the sun don’t shine! Even my manager works a 35 hour week and its strictly 9 to 5. The canteen is subsidised and produces edible meals of decent portions for around £1.50. For the rest of my lunch hour I can stroll round St James Park or walk along the river. My manager seems like a nice bloke, laid back and good to work for and the people in my team seem jovial enough.

Mmmm I bet in a few months time I’ll be moaning about how boring it is and bitching about the wankers that I work with! The maximum I’ve ever stuck with one job so far in my 15-year employment history is 1 year.

And could I cope with being an administrator for the rest of my life? Surely I need to get a better career, something more glamorous? But if it low stress, not too boring and it pays well, who cares, does anyone else ever think that careers are overrated?

A little sleep deprived this week, too many late nights, but then I’m always sleep deprived. Maybe I don’t need 8 hours sleep anyway, I never seem to get it and seem to have coped OK. I think I think about sleep too much!

I’ve been dead classy lately, went to Yate’s Wine Lodge in Stratford Friday Night with Bernie and Jo, my teacher friends. Paid £3 to get in and shout at each other to try and be heard over the loud R&B music. Managed to pursuade my friends that we should accept our losses (£3) and move onto a quieter pub where we could sit and chat. Was much happier sat in a cosy local pub and caught up with all the gossip. I’m bored of going to loud bars, maybe I’m too old? If I’m not going to dance then I want to be able to talk! Otherwise with nothing else to do I simply give up shouting and straining my ears, prop up the bar and start necking drinks very quickly. This always results in me waking up the next day feeling sick with a big hole in my wallet.

Looking forward to going on my friend’s Stag Do in 3 weeks but worried about wearing a kilt for his wedding in Scotland and doing the Best Man’s Speech. I’ll probably write it the night before, like at my brother’s wedding.

On another note me and Val must start looking for a flat soon, otherwise we’ll have to stay in a Youth Hostel or something – Shudder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fully agree that careers are overrated! My new job's not yet become any more challenging then the one you took over from me though the boss is out of town.
Having said that, administration assistant can get tedious after a year or two. I'm with you on the writing career. Apparently my predecessor in this new job has gone on to be a writer, so it could be a blessed position!
Rash