Friday, November 10, 2006

I've found the southern most city in the world - allegedly

Kia Ora (Maori for Hello)

Well today am in Invercargill, southern most city in World, apparantly full of rednecks which I will be testing out tonight when I go out to the bars to get pissed - well it is Saturday night! Its raining again, suprise suprise, I've finally gone somewhere that has more unpredictable and changeable weather than the British Isles. Its never more than a day before it changes from rain to sun to rain to sun, cold to hot and usually several times in the same day.

Semi annoyed as this last week I keep leaving things behind in hostels, thankfully nothing important like passports, credit cards etc. First a torch, then a towel, now a hooded top, oh well. Also fell in a lake Wednesday so had to go out clubbing (well to a bar with people dancing) in flip flops and shorts as my only shoes and jeans were wet. But I'm not too bothered, the scenery is keeping me happy, yesterday amazing fjords and mountains, day before that huge lakes and mountains, before that glaciers and mountains. Yes lots of mountains in the south island, plus sheep (The Welsh would love it) and not too many people, so been getting in touch with nature again.

Last few weeks have been spent in small towns and villages and the locals are extremely friendly. Apart from the time when they wanted to fight me when I fell of a bar that I was dancing on and caused spilt drinks and smashed glass. Bought a bus ticket that tours new zealand, where I can get on and off when and where I want, its cheap as. And if I want to go somewhere it doesn't go to I just hitch, I think the longest I've had to wait was when the 5th car that went past picked me up. The rooms don't even have locks on in a lot of the hostels I'm staying in and people have offered to put me up for a night. The last time I was in a city (Wellington - the capital) was on my birthday (21 Oct) and I left my camera behind in a nightclub after celebrating. I sort of remembered in my sleep and woke up in panick (had all my holiday photos on the memory card) and ran back, thankfully it was still open at 6am and someone had kindly handed it in behind the bar, lady luck was shining down on me I reckon.

So having a good time although bit fed up of dormitories by now as I'm a light sleeper. People snoring, snuffling and wriggling around making the bunk squeek and shudder. People coming in pissed late at night crashing around and people getting up early packing their bags etc. Think I am ready to stay in one place for a while now. Although the prospect of work doesn't appeal after 2 months loafing around. Gotta get a job soon though as my savings are running out big time and I can't find a money tree.

Better cook my dinner (steak and vegetables) then neck a bottle of wine before heading off to the bar, still the cheapskate Toffer of old!

Ta ta

No comments: