Sunday, December 03, 2006

Hired then Fired?

Well I started work yesterday 2 days after started looking for work. But then may have lost the job already. Basically manager's still assessing my performance in yesterday's shift and will let me know Wednesday if i have the job - wanker!

Anyway after last blog entry I went home. Then Friday was all rush rush rush. Got up at 6:30am and was at the agency for 8am to do the usual computing tests, filling in of forms and meeting the consultant. Went OK. Then opened up a bank account. Then applied for a tax number. Then met a friend for lunch. Then went round more agencies. Left my CV or filled in forms but no consultants would see me. The secretaries dissapeared, came back and were all like the consultants will look at your CV and give you a call. This basically means sorry mate but we don't want you. Perth is quite backwards and one women even said its a bit unusual for a man to be looking for PA/admin work, employers want women for this type of work. I was thinking maybe I should become more manly and start looking for construction/labouring/mining work.... hmmmm.

So was a bit despondent and thought sod it I'll have a pint on the way home. Stopped off at this pub and got chatting to some blokes outside and they said oh they need workers here and went and got the manager and hey presto..... I got a job. Sorted. Just goes to show doesn't it if I hadn't stopped off for a pint I would have gone home dissapointed. Also bar work pays well here, $20 an hour, which is more than London and living costs are cheaper. And anyway this is the same rate as temp office work and its more fun, so the agencies can go stick their jobs up their a*se. Women can blooming well keep their temping jobs. So went home happy.

Next day went to the beach, was paddling in the sea and saw what I thought were sharks just a stone's throw from me. Blimey - oh err! Actually turned out they were stingrays wallowing in the shallow's with their flippers turned up like tailfins. Mind you what with that Aussie nutter who got killed by a stingray recently I didn't get too close.

Then went to work, started at 9pm. Bit tired but redbull and adrenalin came to the rescue! Was plonked in upstairs bar next to DJ and dancefloor so couldn't hear a bloody thing. I received 2 minutes of training and was then thrown into the lions den, a busy boisterous Saturday night bar. I told them I had experience, I failed to say that it was 6 weeks work in a quiet pub 4 years ago. Also I didn't know the currency , so had to keep squinting at the coins to see what they were worth. Obviously I messed up quite a bit and the other barman was exasperated and stressed. But I thought I did pretty well under the circumstances and picked it up quite quickly. Always best to get thrown in at the deep end. Trouble was I had to leave at 1:30am to get the last train as I didn't have use of a car. Everyone else stayed till 3am so it didn't look good that I jumped ship early. But main thing was that I didn't get a chance to have a chat to the bar supervisor I was working with to fight my case, explain that I was knew to it all but keen to learn etc. Can use the car as of today, but might be too late?

So today took the initiative, popped in and spoke to the manger. However he said that he needs to speak to the barman first and will get back to me by wednesday. But I won't rest on my laurels, oh no, I'll continue job hunting tomorrow. Better to have 2 jobs than none. You have to have this attitude in life, otherwise you'll get dissapointed. Moral for the day kiddies - Hope for the best but expect the worst. Anyway if he doesn't give me the job there'll be a few bricks flying through his window...... only kidding! Going home to relax now. Then tomorrow a busy bee again.

No comments: