Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Manic Moodswings

Had a permanent headache for over a week now, maybe related to getting the flu last Wednesday, which in itself was a bit of a nuisance since I’d just started a new job. Had to take Thursday off work as very sick but Friday recovered enough to struggle in so that they realised I wasn’t a skiiver! Shaken the worst of it off over the weekend but headache and general aches have lingered on this week and won’t seem to go away!

Rested enough to go out and see the mardi gras parade Saturday night. Highlight of the parade had to be the dykes on bikes, there were literally (tens of?) thousands of them. I’ve never seen so many lesbians. Also lesbians populate the gay bars much more here than they seem to elsewhere. Seriously Australia seems to produce more OUT lesbians than anywhere else in the world. Maybe the men here are less desirable? Or maybe they just come out of the woodwork more here and are more “loud and proud”? Who knows? Anyway on Sunday all the pubs were full of “after parties”, gurning party people that were still on it from Saturday night. The city was buzzing!

So despite being slightly ill I had a great “mardi gras” time. Maybe I ended up having more fun, because I didn’t get hammered and was “with it” enough to appreciate what was going on and I could remember it all the next day!

This week it’s been work during the day, then in the evening going back to my hotel room and then going out to eat a meal on my own. It’s a bit depressing really, living in a hotel room on your own with no one to talk to. It just doesn’t feel homely. And because there is no kitchen you have to “go out” to eat. And Coogee is full of young holiday people and couples wining and dining, and I’m the only loner sat at a table. Housesharing is difficult because I’m only here for 2 months and I’m not going to a hostel because, despite the social aspect; I refuse to share a room. I think I either need to be younger or have more money for this travelling lark!

Anyway Sydney is beautiful and the people I work with are lovely. And I’ve got people to hang out with; it’s just on those lonely evenings when I’m too tired to go out and “do” things. On another note the rain here is very different, it’s like torrential for about 10 minutes and then it’s sunny. No days full of fine drizzle. And the trees smell sooooo gorgeous after the rain, hundreds of different powerful organic type smells, nothing like back in England. And the birds make strange noises, that remind me of my childhood (used to watch neighbours and home and away). It’s weird the birds really do sound like they do on the neighbours and home and away sets. Well it’s not weird at all really, perfectly natural. But I still don’t like the fact that there could be poisonous spiders and snakes lurking anywhere, watch out! There’s no place like home and this week in particular I’ve really been looking forward to coming back!

No comments: