Wednesday, March 28, 2007

New House, Boredom and Chance encounters

OK another week and my job has got soooo boring. It’s 2pm and I have had no work to do today or yesterday. Literally no work at all. Yet they are still paying me, and I’m pretending to look busy because I don’t want people to see me not working and then I’ll be out of a job. I’m only here for a few more weeks so no point looking for another one. And that’s the trouble – having to look busy. Otherwise I could happily sit here, read a book, surf the internet researching various topics, emailing etc. and be relaxed. But because I have to look busy, I have to surf the internet on a tiny screen and when someone walks past click out of it onto some database or something. That’s the trouble I’m not relaxed and am jumpy and constantly worried I’ll get caught doing nothing. What an absurd situation.

Oh well that’s why I’m writing a long blog entry, because I am so bored. I’m writing it on word first so it looks like I’m working and then will cut and paste it onto my blog website.

Moving into my new houseshare has been a brilliant move. All 3 housemates are really nice and chilled out and easy to live with. I’ve got a huge room with my own balcony, very quiet at night and on a lovely tree lined street of old houses with wrought iron balconies. And the best thing is I’ve got a kitchen! It’s so nice to be able to be able to cook at home, eat healthily and save money. OK the house may be a bit old and smelly and my room be a bit empty with none of my personal stuff in it, but for a short 6 week stay its hunky dorry. And nice to get out of that depressing run down and lonely hotel room.

So I moved all my stuff in first thing Friday, then rushed to the Chinese embassy, got my visa sorted and went to work. Saturday me and my friend Arabelle went on a Blue Mountains tour. Bit cheesy, would rather get the train and go on my own little walk but it was organised for me and I had good fun. Saw the obligatory kangaroos and a 3 foot long Iguana lizard. The tour guide was a bit of a character, ranting on about politics and other things, an interesting fellow, so when, as the last person to be dropped off, he asked if I wanted to go for a schooner (= beer) I accepted. It’s these little chance encounters that can often turn out to be a lot of fun and so it turned out to be on this occasion. 1 beer turned to 4. Then we drove back to his place, had more beers, lots of rum and a few sweet smelling roll ups. At this point we decided to cycle to this night club a few miles off. Not sure if drink driving applies to bicycles but who cares, was a right laugh. Managed to fall off a few times but arrived at the club alive and well. 4 hours passed, can’t remember much, but ended up getting a taxi home, leaving my new friend (I found out the next day) attempting to cycle two bikes home at once. He gave up after a while.

Good clean fun as they say. Sunday was quite relaxed and quiet as to be expected. And this week I’ve been bored at work but had quite pleasant evenings with my new housemates, cooking and watching TV, going to the cinema and generally enjoying my new environment. I’m gonna go now and try really hard to find some work to do, ask other admin people around the floor if they want help, because the top boss keeps walking past and I think it’s a bit obvious and sooner or later they could get rid of me! Oh yeah this Friday one of my housemates is throwing an 80s party, hmmm. I don’t really do dressing up, am too self conscious. Us blokes aren’t brought up to dress up, well only behind closed doors in secret, ooops. Dressing up is a girls thing innit?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim

Email me. Bruce at Manurewa.